Saturday, March 27, 2010

Twins Spring Blog-Final Roster decisions

Today after the Twins defeated Philadelphia 8-4 at Hammond Stadium they made some pretty significant roster moves. They reassigned a few minor leaguers, OF Jacque Jones, and INF Matt Tolbert to the minor league camp. Sending Tolbert down means INF Alexi Casilla locked up the last roster spot off the bench. I personally have to disagree with this move due to the fact Tolbert is a hustle player and does those little things that win ballgames. He also keeps his head on his shoulders after making bad plays (which are rare from him), whereas Casilla would pout about it and just give up for a few innings. Casilla had no minor league options left and Tolbert had one. So had the Twins decided to stick with Tolbert, and send Casilla to AAA-Rochester, he would of had to pass through waivers, meaning any team in MLB could of picked him up. Had this been my decision I would of kept Tolbert and taken my chances with Casilla going on waivers. Alexi had his chances and he could not come through (except in game 163). As for the sending Jacque Jones down, that was a tough move, but was another case of not having enough roster spots. Jones was having a phenominal spring hitting .344 with 2 home runs and 4 runs batted in, in 12 games played. He truly made Gardenhire's job not easy. Jones will accept his demotion to the minors and should a Twins outfielder get hurt, look for Jones to get called back up. I would not mind seeing him back in a Twins uniform again. I'll probably only do one more spring blog and over the course of next week I will start looking at each division in MLB and I will make my season predicitons before Opening Day next Sunday.

No comments: