- It would appear that the Twins offseason is hovering around the status of OF Michael Cuddyer right now. As Lavelle writes this morning, the Twins appear to be the favorites to land Cuddyer and it may come on a 2 year deal. But, that could change this week and the Twins may have to improve their offer.
- The Twins claimed SS Pedro Florimon off waivers from Baltimore today. This has to be a move to strengthen the upper levels of the minor leagues, as Florimon is a career .247 hitter in the minors. More on this later.
- Today, Jim Kaat and Tony Oliva fell short in their hall of fame bid on the golden era veterans committee ballot. Kaat recieved 10 of 15 votes and Oliva received 8 votes. A player needed 12 to gain induction. Former Cub Ron Santo did get enough to gain election today (Receiving 15 votes) and will be enshrined in Cooperstown next August.
- As Buster Olney tweets, the Twins appear to be trying to move P Kevin Slowey this week, before the non tender deadline appears. I certainly don't expect us to keep Slowey if we can't trade him. The Twins will just non tender him and let him sign with someone else if they can't move him this week. Slowey made $2.7 million last season and is arbitration eligible and probably would see his salary go up to $3 million if the Twins retain him. But, there is no chance they do, nor should it be considered.
- Non Twins related note: With the signing of Heath Bell and Jose Reyes, I expected the Miami Marlins to stop with the big name signings. But, they are apparently not done there as they try and go after Albert Pujols. So apparently, moving into a new stadium has made the Marlins a big market club. But their attendance has not hinted that they should be freely spending money like this...
Monday, December 5, 2011
Winter Meetings Notes
Its only been a month, but what better way to return to writing on here, with some winter meetings posts. Its one of my favorite 4 day stretches in the baseball calendar year. So much rumors flying around, its bound to give you a headache at some time. But perhaps no team needs some retooling more than the Minnesota Twins. And now they have Terry Ryan back behind the GM desk, so maybe he can work some trade magic once again. So today, I'm gonna kick this off with some notes: